Dark circles under the eyes are one of the most common skin complaints. There are a number of issues that can contribute to this problem, including biological, health, lifestyle, and environmental factors. If you want to get rid of dark circles under your eyes for good, our dermatologists can recommend various treatments and lifestyle changes to help you.
What Causes Dark Circles Under the Eyes?
In order to get rid of dark circles under the eyes, you first need to know what’s causing them. Here are some of the most common culprits that lead to dark circles beneath the eyes.
- Biological Factors: Due to genetics and biological differences in skin tone and texture, some people are naturally more prone to developing dark circles than others.
- Health Factors: Certain medical conditions, such as anemia and thyroid problems, can cause hollows under the eyes.
- Lifestyle Factors: Poor diet, lack of sleep, and excessive alcohol or caffeine are common contributors to dark circles under the eyes.
- Environmental Factors: Sun exposure and pollution can damage and inflame the skin, causing the under-eye area to develop dark hollows.
How Can I Get Rid of Dark Circles Under My Eyes Naturally?
Various lifestyle changes can help improve the appearance of dark circles under the eyes. First, make sure you’re getting enough sleep and that your sleep is restful. To ensure restful sleep, avoid eating food or using electronic devices for at least one to two hours before bedtime. Second, eat a healthy diet filled with fruits and vegetables. Avoid processed foods and sugary drinks, both of which can cause inflammation and dark circles under the eyes. Third, drink plenty of water so that your skin stays hydrated and plump. Fourth, limit your caffeine and alcohol intake. Fifth, if you have a health condition like anemia or thyroid problems, getting treatment will also have the added benefit of naturally improving your dark under-eye circles.
Lastly, protect your skin from environmental damage. If you spend a lot of time out in the sun, wear broad-spectrum sunscreen, sunglasses, and/or a wide-brimmed hat. Smoke and pollution can also aggravate dark circles under the eyes, so try to avoid these factors as much as possible. Proper skin care will go a long way in keeping your skin healthy and youthful.
What Dermatology Treatments Can Get Rid of Dark Circles Under the Eyes?
Our dermatologists can help you rejuvenate your skin using time-tested, proven skin care treatments for dark circles under the eyes. Dermatology treatments that can help reduce the appearance of dark hollows under the eyes include:
- Topical retinoids: Retinoid creams can stimulate collagen production and help improve skin texture and quality.
- Dermal fillers: Dermal fillers such as Sculptra® Aesthetic can be injected into hollows and sunken areas such as the area beneath the eyes, to create a more lively and youthful appearance.
- Chemical peels: Certain chemical peels have been shown to lighten dark circles and reduce signs of aging around the eyes.
- Laser treatments: Laser treatments can reduce hyperpigmentation and stimulate rejuvenation of the skin tissues to correct hollows beneath the eyes.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion can exfoliate darker skin beneath the eyes and lighten the appearance.
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT): PDT helps to restore skin tone and promote skin health for a fresher and more youthful appearance.
To schedule one of our skin rejuvenation treatments, call Medovate today at 847.499.5500.